The organ was completed in 1990 as
Opus 12 of
East Lothian, and is located on a purpose-built
gallery in the North Transept.
The original design concept was
considerably enlarged from 17 to 24 stops to include pedal towers with
16' Facade Principal pipes of 70% tin.
The organ is in three sections – the main central case, which houses the
Great organ, the smaller case overhanging the gallery, which houses the
Chair organ, and the paired Pedal towers on either side.
The Lammermuir organ replaced a JW Walker organ which had been seen as a
temporary instrument whilst the fate of the 1892 instrument by Forster and Andrews
was decided. The latter was located against the east wall of the Nave prior to the
restoration and was stored until it was eventually scrapped being unable
to be restored.
This link will take you to the
The JW Walker organ had a better future when it was transferred to Winchburgh Parish Church.
3 Star attraction
In 2012 St Mary's Church was awarded the
prestigious 3 star award by the Scottish Tourist Board. The scheme focuses on the welcome, hospitality, service and
presentation of visitor attractions.